The mysterious model!

In my post about 40 Winks, I mentioned that the very lovely David had a large photo in his office, that I glimpsed, and thought looked like 50s supermodel Jean Patchett. Well, as soon as he read my post, David emailed to say he’d bought the photo recently, and knew nothing about it. He asked if I really thought it was Jean, to which I replied that I wasn’t sure – I’d need to see it again. He then sent me photos of the picture, and clearly, it isn’t Jean at all, or any of the usual (to me) suspects. So I thought I’d ask my knowledgeable blog readers, do you recognise this woman?

She looks so familiar, but is that just because she has that quintessential 50s fashion model look? Slightly Audrey in the mouth and chin, slightly Jean in the eyebrows?

If anyone can solve the mystery, David and I will be ever so grateful!

More exciting tales to tell you all tomorrow, mostly relating to tea and cake!

Miss Tayva

I don't know who it is, but have seen this photo before.
I remember it because I was coveting that coat! I'll ask my pal Josh and see if he knows who this is.

Siobhan

Ohhh, she looks so familiar! I think I have a poster of a Vogue cover from the 1950s (if I could remember the date it'd help!) that she's on, I don't know her name though – I will look up my poster later (or tomorrow, bloody dissertation) and see if it sheds any light!

Andi B. Goode

Is there any indication of the photographer or a publication it may have been taken for? That could help but she doesn't look familiar to me – sorry!
-Andi x

Fleur de Guerre

Thanks chaps for the suggestions but haven't found her yet! Barbara Goalen is fab, had never seen her before, but she has a very roman nose and fuller lips.

GH: Suzy Parker and Millie Motts are among the 'usual suspects' I mentioned above! ๐Ÿ˜€

Andi: No, sadly, or the mystery would have been solved by now! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nadja, Lillen och Lillens pappa

Hello Fleur, I tryed to e-mail you a couple of days ago with a queation if I could link to you and use som of your photos… Have you got it or is it my hotmail playing silly?

I also feel I recognize the modell, belive Iยดve seen her on flickr?

Cedar

Not sure of her name but she is on the Vogue cover for October 1956. Go to myvintagevogue.com and click on the link that says 50's on the side. It is the last photo in that group, with three women. She is in the center.

Maria S. Varela

Hallo!
As it's the first time I write here to you, I will introduce myself a little..My name is Maria, and I'm also a forties enthusiast..I found you in MM, where I will be soon as vintage photographer and what can I say..read all your entries the last two days and loved the blog!
You've a great fan here ๐Ÿ™‚
About the misterious pic..reminds me Greta Garbo and her thin lips..I will try to help.

Maybe this link (a wonderful collection of vintage fashion photos) will be helpful..I'm searching now!

Fleur de Guerre

VV already commented on the Flickr photo that she didn't know, but this is before Cedar spotted the Vogue cover – it does look like our girl, but only VV would know if she is named inside the magazine!

Fleur de Guerre

BTW I am getting myself confused! Millie Mots is the name of the Flickr stream isn't it? I thought it was – I have looke dthrough it before so that's why I knew it, but the model seems to be called Anne St Marie?! Either way, not our girl!

Hi Fleur. Am wondering if Lisa Fonssagrives has been considered.
Really enjoy your blog, by the way.
Best,
Anna

Fleur de Guerre

Well Wilhelmina wold have been 11 in 1950, so I think she's out!

Lisa Fonssagrives is another usual suspect – I have lots of pics of her saved so I knew it wasn't her!

Well whoever it is, is seriously channelling the wonderful Dovima, my own personal favourite.

Minn x

Cedar

Just checking back to see if this mystery was solved. I agree with the Glamorous Housewife, that looks like our girl!

Has the mystery model been solved…she looks like Dorian Leigh (sister of Suzy Parker). Many years ago I read her autobio – quite interesting. She said Truman Capote based his Holly Golightly on her.

It appears to be Lisa Fonssagives considered by many to be the first supermodel. She was a top model in the 1930s but mostly '40s and'50s. The photograph may well have been taken by her husband, Irving Penn, who was anwell known photographer. If he is the photographer and this is an original, it is worth quite a bit of money.

Sorry to drag up an old discussion but my vote is also with Ann Gunning. I thought this livejournal might interest you lovely ladies