The sound of silence…

Wotcher everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and apologise for the fact that I’ve spectacularly failed to keep my new year’s resolution to make this blog more substantive, because so far in 2010, there’s been a complete dearth of interesting and informative posts on here. Since the turn of the new year I’ve been alternately working like a proverbial and spending days at a time with no makeup on and very dull outfits; and spending the weekends with my amazing new chap, whom I met on New Year’s Eve. ๐Ÿ™‚ That’s not to say I haven’t dressed up nicely for him, because I have, but I am thoroughly, utterly and completely bored with my winter wardrobe! I wouldn’t want you all to keel over yawning at photos of my getup, because that’s kind of how I feel about what I’m wearing at the moment! I should probably get over it though, as we have a good couple of months before spring will really allow me to break out the cotton frocks and peep-toe sandals.

A couple of weeks ago, I was hankering so badly for something to draw me out of these winter-induced doldrums that I did treat myself to a new Swirl from eBay. It arrived yesterday and although I love it as I do all my Swirls, I didn’t even have the grace and decency to feel cheered up! But first, the good – look how cute it is!

(Yes, I’ve been playing with those silly 40s Cosmo stamps again! Also, it’s not quite dry, hence the darker patches… it’s too dark in here to get away without flash!)

It would be perfect to wear to a VE-day do (despite being post-war) or any sort of patriotic party, don’t you think? However, overall, it’s quite tired-looking, with fading, several frays and worn patches; and I was gutted to find it had been shortened, badly, with the excess cut off rather than turned up. It fell above my knee, which is just too short for my tastes. I’ve let the hem down, and now it hits on the knee, though I’ll need to prevent it fraying somehow. Another sewing project which will never, ever actually get done as I never do any sewing! I think I’ll get the trusty fabric glue out again, as it worked a treat on my little pinafore.

All things considered, it is a nice little frock, but it definitely won’t be saved for best. On the bright side, we all need a few items of clothing for knocking about in! I do have the perfect jewellery to wear with it, too!

I have also managed to snaffle some superb bargains at the charity shop recently, including a lovely hand-embroidered vintage tablecloth and six matching napkins, and some more crockery. But I shall save that for another post. I hope to have some more photos of events I’ve been to recently, too, because at least if I can’t manage to think up something interesting to tell you, or yet find the time to do a tutorial; I can at least dazzle you with photos of lovely locations and stylish people (self currently excluded). ๐Ÿ˜‰

So once again, sorry for the silence. I hope my mood, style and consequently my blog will pick up again soon. Let me know if you’ve found any bargains lately, and if you’re as bored of winter as I am!

Straight Talking Mama!

Ah Fleur it's that time of year, don't worry about it, and you're a busy lady you can't do everything.

I started keeping my blog up lately and I admire you a LOT, it's darned hard work!

Looking forward to future posts
Fiona
x

Lindsey

I would actually love to see some of your winter clothes. I live in Seattle and am completely stuck when it comes to a winter wardrobe. It would be nice to have some ideas/inspiration from a pro like yourself.

Angel

You could always add a band of material in red or white to the bottom if it's too short. It would probably suit the dress too!

I think you need some vintage fur to make you feel more glam in the cold!

Katie MVD

Bias binding around the hem to stop it from fraying m'dear! You can get it in red, white or blue too very easily, and with a bit of wonder-web & an iron, you don't even have to do any sewing!!

Marloes

Yes, I'm absolutely bored with the winter. In Holland we have had snow for almost two months, and the only shoes I have that are appropriate are my Dr Martens boots, from when I was a 16-year-old punkkid, haha! So, that's what I'm wearing these last couple of months… -_-'

Maggi

Wow, that dress is too cute! It will be perfect with that jewelry. I know what you mean about the winter blues, I am so ready for some warmth!

esme and the lane way

Oh, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time!
Your swirl dress is beautiful, and I'm looking forward to see what you do with the hem. Would adding a bit of, say, red fabric to the hem for a smidge of length help? Or is that too much fiddle faddle on a vintage dress?! Anyway it is so cute, I love those colours ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmm, I did pick up (a bargain! Yay!) green 50s dress from ebay, which I am looking forward to wearing, but I am enjoying summer for a change so I can wait!

Looking forward to the return in full!

what i would have worn...

I would be willing to bet that you are impossibly glamorous even in the throes of a winter fug. I always admire your style. If you want to see something to make you giggle check out my first attempt at using my new hot rollers at http://wouldhaveworn.blogspot.com/.I think I must just resign myself to the fact that I will always be the girl with scruffy hair and smudged lipstickโ€ฆ

Andi B. Goode

I managed to find a very sweet early 1960s dress at the Goodwill today! hurrah. And a nice pair of sunglasses at the Salvo's, too. =D
I'm not bored of winter but I'm a bit bored of summer!
-Andi x

Miss Emmi

Some bias binding would probably do the trick (you could get the iron on sort if you're very worried about fraying). In a contrast colour like red or white I think it'd only add to the charm!

My city (Melbourne) constantly has me guessing about the weather – it's tough to get bored! Yesterday I was wearing a playsuit, today I had a dress, stockings and cardigan on – the temperature is all over the place!

That's too bad that it's been shortened so much, because it's really cute! I love the aforementioned ideas of lengthening it a bit with fabric or tape, if it's annoyingly short. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've decided January and February are just "blah" months! lol. Even though it's a bit warmer here, I'm bored with my clothing and kind of gave up on doing anything more interesting with my hair than braids for a few weeks. (Thankfully, just got a months-overdue haircut this week which will remedy the problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My mood is often not it's usual either–so you're not the only one! ๐Ÿ˜‰

โ™ฅ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

A Homely Heroine

Hi, I just nominated you for an award over on my blog, your own is so utterly beautiful I couldn't help myself.

I admit I've been 'lurking' for some time now!

miamichaela

Sigh, I am also so over winter already…it was enough, really; just ENOUGH! I want to wear swishy lovely dresses again ๐Ÿ™‚
And a new chap? Do tell more ๐Ÿ˜‰

Monski

Let me add my vote to those who have suggested bias binding. I would go with blue to match – ahh you can't beat a bit of bias…

It is a dreary time of year & many of us feel lack lustre.
Some of my remedies –
baking + music,
hot scented bath,
a slow cooked casserole,
bracing country (or heath or park)walk (what ho).
Though I am a fine one to pontificate; I am not taking much care of myself, currently.

Fleur I enjoy your blog, you write engagingly & well. It's good to be real, which might not always be entirely cheerful (what is more depressing than relentless chirpyness)?

Some make up & beauty stuff would be nice; I enjoyed your stuff on skincare etc… did you ever post a makeup how to? Nice to know how others do their makeup when they do a decent job of it.

Toodle pip x

ALRAUNE.

Hi, this dress looks wonderful, I love the details of crossed ribbons on the collar and pockets!!

January can be definitely boring, here in Spain we say the first 15 days are the worst of the year because of the lack of money after Christmas… at least we have the sales, beginning on January 7th.

I found recently some pieces of vintage chains to use on making some bijoux, also the frames of vintage clocks, on copper, for the same purpose. I,ll keep on searching, hi hi….

In Spain say si, si…

ยดยดยถยถยดยดยดยถยถยถยถยดยถยดยดยดยดยดยดยถยดยดยดยถยถยถยถยถยถยถ
ยดยดยถยถยดยดยดยดยดยดยถยถยถยถยดยดยดยดยดยถยดยถยถยดยดยดยดยดยถยถ
ยดยดยถยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยถ
ยดยดยดยถยถยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยถยดยดยดยถยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยดยถ
ยดยดยดยดยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยดยดยดยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถยถ

WOW WHAT A BEAUTY I LIKE YOURS CHOICE THANK YOU
VERY MUCH FOR NICE BLOG. TAKE CARE,BEST WISHES.

SEE MY WORLDS BEST COOL PHOTOS BANK!

NOW COLLECTION OF WORLD'S BEST PHOTOS
IN ONE PLACE.

I am interested to link exchange if you agree then visit my blog

NOW VISIT ALL MY BLOG AND ENJOY