Catch-up time again!

This week has passed me by, rather! I’m not sure why, because I haven’t been all that busy, except for my day in London to see The 39 Steps, as mentioned in my last post. I have to say that it was utterly fabulous! I haven’t seen the Hitchcock film, and my chap was rather dubious, to say the least, about it being turned into a comedy. But it really is very funny, and not in a disrespectful-to-the-original-way. It’s slightly slapstick, but not overtly. All I can really say is that you absolutely MUST see it – if not here in London, then at one of the many productions around the world!

Anyway, last weekend, I had the pleasure of attending White Mischief at the Scala. It was a veritable steampunk extravaganza, with acts and attendees alike all conforming in various degrees to the rather fabulous neo-Victorian theme. Some photographs of the night…

We saw the fabulous Voltini turning himself into a human Van Der Graff machine with a probe up his bottom…

…Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer doing his thing…

…and some well-dressed, steam-punked acquaintances.

Sadly the same couldn’t be said for me! I did, of course, endeavour to dress my best, but nothing I own could conceivably be described as steampunk! I had neither the time, nor the imagination to customise anything. So here I am in my

Carys

Your perm looks lovely! Being the owner of a SERIOUSLY botched perm up until a month ago, I am extremely jealous, but much to afraid to ever try perms again. I really admire your blog and modelling work, and lovely outfits too!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Yesterday Girl

Oh my God, please tell me where you got your perm,I've wanted one for ages but nowhere seems to do them anymore! My hair is poker straight and its a constant battle of rolling/setting/spraying/brushing. This would absolutely change my life!xx

Miss Emmi

@Yesterday Girl – try an asian hair salon. They specialize in perms! My friend got one and had gorgeous big curls that didn't require setting for months. I don't know whether they have difficulty adapting the technique to caucasian hair types, but I'd definitely start looking there.

Fleur, you look gorgeous! Your hair must grow so fast, it seems like only a month or two ago it was still curled up around your earlobes! You're lucky, mine is taking -forever- to get past that awkward 'is it long or is it short?' phase.

garofit

You look great (love the peach ensemble) and the first perms if they are done correctly usually behave very well. I think the worry starts when the hair has been permed repeatedly, or perhaps badly permed. It might depend on the type of hair too. I did nearly destroy mine with perms a few years back in the quest for the elusive perfect curl, to the extent that I had to cut it all off, and I will never go there again. But that's just m,e, and my perms weren't done very professionally.
Good luck with yours!

Fleur de Guerre

Thanks for the comments, all!
Carys – even a seriously botched perm can be turned to your advantage if you set it! Thanks for your kind words too 🙂

Jenny – I went to a salon in a small village near my parents – it's where elderly ladies get permed every day. So they know their stuff! I suggest finding an old lady salon in your area. It cost £50, so almost the same price as a cut elsewhere (their cuts cost £15!)

Miss Emmi – I don't know if it's maybe the way I set it… it's been about this length for a while! I had it all chopped in December 2007, way before I started the blog, and have kept it long since. It just looks a lot shorter when curled – see pic above at White Mischief! 😀

Betty – thanks- it's not much to look at, but the chemical change is the real winner!

Stampalina – I have just discovered the person I got it off now has a site! I'll have to do a proper post now! But it's http://www.dressing4impressing.co.uk and it's in the 50s section!

Garofit – thank you and sorry to hear your tale of perm woe 🙁 I will be aware of your words when I go back again, although that probably won't be for 6 months or so..

Miss Matilda

Do you want me to come home and open a vintage perming salon!

My best ever perm was using the stacking technique, Nicki Oliver did it for me in Manchester….

I'd be more than happy to come to London and do a perming session, seriously! If you can set it up, I'm your woman!

Natalie

Loving the perm, Fleur! What a fantastic idea for saving yourself time.

As always, I love reading about the glamorous things you've been getting up to. Living vicariously, hehe!

Ivy Black

Lovely perm, looks a treat.
'Old lady salons' are the best, especially if you want your hair permed because it's what they do well. I used to have my hair coloured and styled in one before it closed. There was a lady working there who must have been 70 if she was a day, and she did the best Victory Rolls in two seconds flat! These places are true gems but are getting harder to find.
x

Crafty Cornelia

Hi,my fellow vintage lovers!
this is my first time writting on this blog!Great stuff,useful advice!I am very keen to have a perm soon,so your advice is much apreciated!I am tempted to add a new page on my website where ladies like us can have a vintage jumper knitted!!!Please let me know if that sounds like a good idea!Plese have a look at my website http://www.vintage-crafts.biz for details.I am crafter,designer and maker who adores retro!My motto is make it,wear it,love it!Love to hear your views!Cheerios!Crafty Cornelia